Thursday, May 3, 2007

Ecomagination

A few days ago I was checking the weather before heading off to class, when a video advertisement caught my eye on the side of the website. The video was from GE and it
was about their new wind mill they designed which is already implemented off the coast of Ireland. In the video one of the GE guys was running around the "Windy City" asking people what they thought about wind power. I think it was a really cool video for GE to make because after having watched it I wanted to learn more about their ecomagination campaing. I think its great that a company such as GE is making such an initiative to be socialy responsible. I think that companies need to realize that making profit in the short term is great but if they think long term and preserve the environment and show the customers that they do care about the community, not only will they have resources left to use but they will probably also have loyal customers who value their efforts for the community. So keep it up GE.

Visit Stiuqxela for a little fun

5 comments:

Michael Meschisen said...

Funny you mention wind power as the way that GE is supporting the environment as in a class last semester I was in a group that had to do a presentation about alternative power sources and weighed the benefits of a few options. We, however, came to the conclusion that nuclear power was the better alternative and not wind power, but knowing they are putting money towards wind makes me wonder if wind would have been a better choice.

Lydia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lydia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lydia said...

I also took a class that learned about alternative power options, BUAD472 (Marketing and the Environment). It was likely the same as Mike's class. It was certainly interesting to see how the world is shifting with increased importance on how businesses affect the things around them. Truly a long time coming. I also found in my interviews with full-time employers that social responsibility is something many companies have yet to develop. This puts a lot into the hands of our generation to making a better world for ourselves and future generations.

Veronika said...

I agree with you guys and I think that we do need to start thinking about how we are going to leave the environment for our children. Its easy to put off worrying about our environment but it doesn't take that much for a company to do a little to help the environment and potentially gain customers who like the actions the company is now taking. To address the Nuclear Power plant issue, I would say that wind power is better in the sense that it is cleaner. With nuclear power you have to worry about toxic waste that becomes a burden on the environment for years to come, while wind power does not produce such harmful side effects to my knowledge. Also I think that a lot of people are not keen on the idea of alternative resources because of the initial cost of implimenting something like that. However, I think that you have to evaluate such projects long term and I think they have non monetary benefits as well that are really hard to place a valid value on. I blogged about GE because I felt like its good to see a company taking an innitiative to better our environment.